Report of Native Avahi support

Hiroshi TAKENAKA hiro-takenaka_50 at gem.hi-ho.ne.jp
Fri Jan 14 21:58:05 PST 2011

Hello,

I've built the cups-1.4.6 patched by Native Avahi support.
I've also built gutenprint from CVS repository, which supports my printer Cannon
MG6100 series as the print driver.

My printer is on my LAN, where dnssd is served.

The results of the my challenges are the followings.

1.The CUPS can find my printer on the LAN using the Native Avahi support.

2.So I could add a new printer to the CUPS using the gutenprint as the driver.

3.However, I cannot print any documents using the printer. Print Jobs disappear
just after I start to print them.

4.Only ways to print from the Linux machine is to use shared printer on the Mac
OSX Leopard machine. Of course the avahi patched CUPS is enable to find shared
printer service on the LAN.

My goal I wish is to print directly from the Linux machine.
I cannot find out which is responsible for the failure, the CUPS or the
gutenprint because my printer is only supported by CVS version of gutenprint
and new patches of CUPS. Both of them needs further developments, I think.

Anyway this is the current status of CUPS and gutenprint for one of rather new
model printers on LAN.

Best regards,
Hiroshi Takenaka.