cups can not detect usb printer

bui bqbao at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 21:55:26 PST 2011

I successfully compiled and run cups 1.4.5 on my ARM9 system, but lpinfo can not detect my printer.

# lpinfo -l -v
Device: uri = scsi
        class = direct
        info = SCSI Printer
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = http
        class = network
        info = Internet Printing Protocol (http)
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = ipp
        class = network
        info = Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = socket
        class = network
        info = AppSocket/HP JetDirect
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = lpd
        class = network
        info = LPD/LPR Host or Printer
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
#

I can see my printer by lsusb:
# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 058f:9254
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03f0:0e17
#

I disabled the usblp module when compiling the kernel, but lpinfo still can not see my printer
# dmesg | grep usb
usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=03f0, idProduct=0e17
usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-1.2: Product: hp LaserJet 1015
usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: 00SGFB860589
usb 1-1.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
#
[...]

When I enable usblp, the node /dev/usb/lp0 appear when plugging my printer and I can print using cat command.
#cat test.txt > /dev/usb/lp0

 But when I disable usblp, I can not see anything related to my printer on /dev folder

# ls /dev/usb
ls: /dev/usb: No such file or directory
# ls /dev/lp*
ls: /dev/lp*: No such file or directory
# ls /dev/lp
ls: /dev/lp: No such file or directory
# ls /dev/u*
/dev/urandom
#

How can I make cups detect my printer? And why I can not see /dev/usb when disabling usblp?
Any suggestion is very appreciated.