CUPS Fax Backend Howto?

Tilman Schmidt tilman at imap.cc
Sun Jul 3 07:24:54 PDT 2011

> I tried to create such a backend for capifax but hit some obstacles. The current state of my work is available for download at
> http://www.phoenixsoftware.de/~ts/capifax4CUPS.tgz
> I would be grateful for comments on how to address these problems:
>
> 1. When printing from the command line through the "lp" command, specifying the destination number works fine, either as the job name or as option "phone". This does not work when printing from an application. The "pseudo-Foomatic driver" section at the end of the PPD file doesn't seem to have any effect.
>
> 2. Printing from the command line only works for PostScript files. Other formats seem to get sent to the backend without conversion, making GhostScript barf. I expected CUPS to take care of that, converting everything to PostScript before passing it to my backend.

And another one:

3. The three parameters $MSN (own MSN to use for sending), $HEADER (fax sender name) and $IDENT (fax sender ID) are configured in the backend itself. It would be more natural to be able to set them in the printer configuration dialog, but I couldn't find a way to define free text parameters there.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe^2
Tilman