[cups.general] CUPS Fax Backend Howto?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Jul 5 04:29:06 PDT 2011

Hello,

On Jul 3 07:25 Helge Blischke wrote (excerpt):
> Tilman Schmidt wrote:
>> A more natural solution would be a capifax CUPS backend connecting capifax
>> directly into CUPS, like fax4CUPS does for some other fax programs. I
>> tried to create such a backend for capifax but hit some obstacles. The
>> current state of my work is available for download at
>> http://www.phoenixsoftware.de/~ts/capifax4CUPS.tgz I would be grateful for
>> comments on how to address these problems:
>>
>> 1. When printing from the command line through the "lp" command,
>> specifying the destination number works fine, either as the job name or as
>> option "phone".
> Third, I'd append the printer specific options to the device-uri
> (separated by the proper uri by a "?") and implement means to extract
> the destination number e.g. from the job title or whatever you like.

Only hardcoded options can be specified via the device-uri.

For options which the user should set, the PPD file should be used.

Traditional PPD file syntax only allows the user to select one
of a list of hardcoded choices in the PPD file.

Since CUPS 1.3 it supports custom options using an extension
of the CustomPageSize and ParamCustomPageSize syntax, see
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.3/spec-ppd.html

I didn't test CUPS Custom Options - in particular I don't know
to which extent application programs (in particular the Gnome
and KDE print dialog programs) support CUPS Custom Options.

As a fallback parsing the job title or having a special option "phone"
is of course good to have but this should not be the only supported way.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner