Centos 5.5 and CUPS 1.3.7

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Jul 5 09:53:00 PDT 2011

Scott Hallenbeck wrote:

>> > I have noticed a lot of issues in CUPS 1.3.7 communicating with HP
>> > P3005 printers, causing the printer to enter and error state and
>> > reflect a
>> > 40.4C02 on the screen.  This seems to happen frequently with the only
>> > way to circumvent this is to clear the offending job, and power cycle
>> > the printer.
>> >
>> > We also have a CUPS 1.1.22rc1 print server that does not create this
>> > issue, so it seems to be isolated to 1.3.7 and or the drivers we are
>> > using in 1.3.7.
>> >
>> > I am told it happens to p3005 printers that have not had a firmware
>> > update. Has anyone else seen this issue?
>> >
>> > Is this something a correct PPD file can overcome?
>> > Any recommendations?
>> >
>> > thank you,
>> >
>> > Scott
>>
>> Please describe how this printer is configured in your cups 1.3.7
>> environment, especially post (an URL to) the PPD used and if it is driven
>> by plain PostScript, hplip, or gutenprint.
>>
>> Helge
>>

> I have held off on this until I was able to troubleshoot this issue
> further.  At this point I was able to isolate only 1 document that was
> causing this issue.
> We print several documents for each of course new customers, and they vary
> from state to state.  There is one document that is printed from a
> specific state that causes this issue.  All documents we print are in a
> pdf format including this one.  I have one of our developers looking into
> the difference between this document and all the others, but at this point
> he has not found any major differences and have tested against the minor
> ones with no success.
>
> On the older server where this document has printed without fail, it seems
> it uses either "HP LaserJet P2015 Series Postscript (recommended)" PPD or
> the "HP LaserJet P2015 Series (DUPLEX)".  Both of these have been tested
> on the new server as well as the "HP LaserJet P3005 Postscript
> (recommended)" which can be found here
> http://hellandback.net/cups/hp-laserjet_p3005-ps.ppd
>
> This seems to ONLY effect the p3005 and p3005d, while the p3005dn seems to
> print this document fine.  Also, if the p3005 or p3005d firmware is
> updated (from 20070424  02.03.5) then it will print this document fine as
> well.  However, upgrading the firmware on these printers in the field is
> not really an option as doing it remotely tends to brick them, and the
> people on location do not have the technical savvy to do it themselves.
>
> I DID changed the PPD to the "HP LaserJet Series CUPS v1.1" and this
> allowed this document to print fine on all the p3005 printers, but
> introduced a new issue of cutting of the tops and bottoms of the
> documents.  It seems the only difference here is an added filter, but this
> caused and issue with all documents being incomplete.
>
> Any suggestions or help would be welcomed.
> Thank you,
> Scott

Well, the PPD seems to be OK and cupstestppd (from 1.3.11) does not complain.

could you run the command
cupsfilter -m application/vnd.cups-postscript -p p3005-ps.ppd in.pdf > out.ps
where p3005-ps.ppd is the (abolute) path name of the printer's PPD as used by CUPS,
in.pdf the offending PDF. Then post (an URL to) out.ps (or e-mail it to me at
h dot blischke at acm dot org, if it has to be kept confidentially).

Helge