CUPS Fax Backend Howto?

Tilman Schmidt tilman at imap.cc
Thu Jul 7 16:30:36 PDT 2011

Thanks for all the input. I have now created a new version of my
capifax CUPS backend which appears more or less usable, although
I'm not quite happy with the solution. I have put it up again at

http://www.phoenixsoftware.de/~ts/capifax4CUPS.tgz

for your perusal.

1. When it doesn't find a destination number in one of the places
where the command line "lp" command might put it, it now looks
for an X display where the owner of the job is logged on and
tries to pop up a question there using the "zenity" command.
I consider this a hack, and there are lots of corner cases where
it works differently from what the user expects, or not at all.

2. Conversion from PostScript to TIFF G3 is now done in a separate
filter as proposed by Helge Blischke. This seems to fix most of
the cases where previously CUPS would try to feed the backend
input formats it couldn't handle.

3. The options "own MSN", "own ID" and "header" must still be
entered into the backend script with a text editor.

Is that the best CUPS can do?