[cups.general] Realtime Printing / cups.h

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Jul 11 07:44:35 PDT 2011

On Jul 11, 2011, at 8:53 AM, Zubair Lutfullah wrote:

> Q1) I'm trying to install a printer driver manually as Ubuntu doesn't have it.
> The make gives an error cannot find
> cups/cups.h
> And i searched manually as well. Cant find it in /usr/include/
>
> I'm pretty sure I'm missing some basic step. Please guide me.

Install the cups developer package - libcups2-dev I think - and also make sure you have a C compiler installed, etc.

> Q2) I can use gnuplot to make graphs in pieces.
>    These segments of postscript files need to be perfectly aligned on the same page.
>
> Any idea as to how i should proceed?
>
> Main purpose: I'm trying to print a graph in real-time.
> I use gnuplot to make a 1 second chunk of a plot. Then need to use cups
> to send a job to the printer. During the time the printer is printing. Another one second chunk will be ready.

You'd need to manually re-insert the paper. Most continuous graphing/logging/receipt solutions do not use CUPS, but instead talk directly to a printer so they can provide variable-length, immediate printing.