CUPS 1.4.3 && printing UTF-8 text

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Jul 12 11:52:54 PDT 2011

> > The way generating PCL from the big Postscript file, using Ghostscript'
> > driver ljet4, works fine; the resulting file is only around 64 Kbyte (and
> > not 1 MByte Postscript) for a single half page; the PCL prints fine on HP
> > LaserJet models, but not on some Kyocera Mita FS1010, which are attached
> > on USB to Windows PC's and controlled by some kind of Windows spooling
> > software (in CUPS they are configured as socket:/.... using a Generic PCL
> > driver);
> >
> > I know that is now already far of topic, but maybe someone has an idea
> > were to look, because the customer has around 70 of these old printers and
> > awaits that they work with Unicode as they did before with ISO 8859-1
> > printing.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> >     matthias
>
> See
> http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Kyocera/Kyocera-FS-1010
> Kyocera's website states that this printer speaks pcl as well.

Yes, I have checked the page before and tested in Ghostscript all the
mentioned drivers 'ljet4', 'ljet4d' and 'pxlmono'; the PCL output is just
not understood by the printer or is mangled by the Windows spooler sw
before it goes to the printer itself; I have asked the customer to provide me
one of the printers and the spooling software and will check in detail
(for example connecting the USB printer directly a UNIX running CUPS)
what's going on;

thanks as well for your other hints; I will see what I can drain from
them;

   matthias