options in test page work, but not with lpr

Andy Paul yeno at gmx.net
Wed Jul 13 03:47:58 PDT 2011

Hello there,

We're using CUPS since years without much trouble (so its a great piece of software!). But we have an strange problem with one printer.
Here is a Lexmark T652 with a 5-Bin-Mailbox attachted, that prints fine. I have working PPD-file installed, that shows all options in http://localhost:631/admin/?op=config-printer&printer_name=mailb1, cupstestppd says PASS.  I'm able to set OutputBin from "printer default" to "Bin1"..."Bin5" and also can print a testpage
with a click on http://localhost/printers/mailb1?op=print-test-page .
everything works pretty till here.
But if i try to print to the same printer with "lpr -P mailb1 sometest.ps", the print comes out of the standardbin.
"lpr -P -o Outputbin=bin1 sometest.ps" doesnt work either.
"loptions -p mailb1" shows only "job-sheets=none,none", and setting to "lpoptions -P mailb1 -o OutputBin=Bin1", sets the option but changes nothing.
"loptions -p mailb1 -l" also says:
"...OutputBin/Papierablage: PrinterS StandardBin *Bin1 Bin2 Bin3 Bin4 Bin5 Bin6 Bin7 Bin8 Bin9 Bin10..."
I'm going to set up queues for each mailbox bin. This already works with three different Kyocera printers using a second input tray.

Can someone point me where to look at to pin down the difference between the testpage print and the real jobs?
Thanks in advantage
Bakaroo

Some backgrond:
The system is a Suse Linux Enterprise Server SLES10, running CUPS 1.1.23 (updating blows the Linux to fubar, because unresolveable depencies)
The printer is a Lexmark T652 with the optional 5-bin mailbox, using plain Postscript and the Lexmark-delivered PPD-file "Lexmark-T652-de.ppd", getting its data from the SLES via socket://192.168.1.x:9100.