options in test page work, but not with lpr

Andy Paul yeno at gmx.net
Wed Jul 13 07:47:57 PDT 2011

> Andy Paul wrote:
>
> > Hello there,
> >
> > We're using CUPS since years without much trouble (so its a great piece of
> > software!). But we have an strange problem with one printer.
> > Here is a Lexmark T652 with a 5-Bin-Mailbox attachted, that prints fine. I
> > have working PPD-file installed, that shows all options in
> > http://localhost:631/admin/?op=config-printer&printer_name=mailb1,
> > cupstestppd says PASS.  I'm able to set OutputBin from "printer default"
> > to "Bin1"..."Bin5" and also can print a testpage with a click on
> > http://localhost/printers/mailb1?op=print-test-page . everything works
> > pretty till here. But if i try to print to the same printer with "lpr -P
> > mailb1 sometest.ps", the print comes out of the standardbin. "lpr -P -o
> > Outputbin=bin1 sometest.ps" doesnt work either. "loptions -p mailb1" shows
> > only "job-sheets=none,none", and setting to "lpoptions -P mailb1 -o
> > OutputBin=Bin1", sets the option but changes nothing. "loptions -p mailb1
> > -l" also says: "...OutputBin/Papierablage: PrinterS StandardBin *Bin1 Bin2
> > Bin3 Bin4 Bin5 Bin6 Bin7 Bin8 Bin9 Bin10..." I'm going to set up queues
> > for each mailbox bin. This already works with three different Kyocera
> > printers using a second input tray.
> >
> > Can someone point me where to look at to pin down the difference between
> > the testpage print and the real jobs? Thanks in advantage
> > Bakaroo
> >
> > Some backgrond:
> > The system is a Suse Linux Enterprise Server SLES10, running CUPS 1.1.23
> > (updating blows the Linux to fubar, because unresolveable depencies) The
> > printer is a Lexmark T652 with the optional 5-bin mailbox, using plain
> > Postscript and the Lexmark-delivered PPD-file "Lexmark-T652-de.ppd",
> > getting its data from the SLES via socket://192.168.1.x:9100.
>
> Did you specify the option
> OptOutputBins=OBin5
> either by the web interface or by lpoptions?
> If not, your outputbin selection might be rejcted by the UIConstraints in
> the PPD.
>
> Helge

This is set via web interface. In lpoptions -P mailb1 -l the equivalent is set like "OptOutputBins/Papierablagen: StandardBin OBin1 OBin2 OBin3 *OBin5 OBin6 10OptnlBins", but lpoptions -P mailb1 has'nt shown this. So I have add this by lpoptions -P mailb1 -o OptoutputBins=OBin5. Nothing changes.

In the meantime, i have set up 5 queues for mailb1 to mailb5, all equal exept the OutputBin -setting in the Web interface. This reflects to the ppd-copies in /etc/cups/ppd: an diff shows the respective *DefaultOutputBin: Bin?x? with ?x? from 1 to 5 like the targeted Bin. I even consider to play with other settings in this files to tighten this screw. But no success.
greetings
Andy