[cups.general] options in test page work, but not with lpr

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Jul 14 03:06:21 PDT 2011

Hello,

On Jul 13 03:47 Andy Paul wrote (excerpt):
> ... Lexmark T652 with a 5-Bin-Mailbox attachted ...
> ... I'm able to set OutputBin from "printer default" to "Bin1"..."Bin5"
> and also can print a testpage with a click
> on http://localhost/printers/mailb1?op=print-test-page
> But if i try to print to the same printer with "lpr -P mailb1 sometest.ps",
> the print comes out of the standardbin.

You mean that the testpage prints on "Bin1"..."Bin5" as requested
but your "sometest.ps" does not?

In general you may have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Print_Settings_with_CUPS

Is your "sometest.ps" file plain printer independent PostScript or does
it perhaps contain printer specific stuff like "setpagedevice" commands?

Perhaps your "sometest.ps" file contains printer specific PostScript
which re-sets the PostScript snippet from the PPD file which should
set the OutputBin, see "What is a PPD file and how does it work" at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

Try out if PostScript made by "a2ps" works, e.g. via:
   echo Hello | a2ps -1 -o- | lp -d mailb1

To analyze the final PostScript which is sent to the printer device,
set in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf "FileDevice Yes" (and restart cupsd), see
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.1/sam.html#FileDevice

Then set up a test queue using commands like
   lpadmin -p testy -v file:/tmp/testy.out -P /path/to/file.ppd -E
   lpadmin -p testy -o OutputBin=Bin1
see "Command-line tools for creating or editing queues" at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

Then print the test page via the testy queue and save its PostScript
in /tmp/testy.out e.g. to /tmp/testy.out.testpage and afterwards
print your "sometest.ps" via testy and compare its /tmp/testy.out
with /tmp/testy.out.testpage.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner