options in test page work, but not with lpr

Andy Paul yeno at gmx.net
Thu Jul 14 06:11:23 PDT 2011

Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Jul 13 03:47 Andy Paul wrote (excerpt):
> > ... Lexmark T652 with a 5-Bin-Mailbox attachted ...
>
> You mean that the testpage prints on "Bin1"..."Bin5" as requested
> but your "sometest.ps" does not?

Thats right.

> Is your "sometest.ps" file plain printer independent PostScript or does
> it perhaps contain printer specific stuff like "setpagedevice" commands?
> Perhaps your "sometest.ps" file contains printer specific PostScript
> which re-sets the PostScript snippet from the PPD file..

its a very clean postscript file without any devicespecific commands. Something like:

%!PS-Adobe-2.0
/Helvetica findfont 10 scalefont setfont
10 40 moveto (Hello World) show
showpage

> Try out if PostScript made by "a2ps" works, e.g. via:
>    echo Hello | a2ps -1 -o- | lp -d mailb1

Thats surprisingly works. So it must be a problem with my .ps-files.
Maybe there has to be more PS-stuff in the header to work correctly.

>    lpadmin -p testy -v file:/tmp/testy.out -P /path/to/file.ppd -E
> Then print the test page via the testy queue...

This is what I'm looking for (I don't know why I havn't seen this). Now I'm going to study and compare the output.
I'm going to report the result. So stay tuned, if you want to hear.
Greetings
Andy