options in test page work, but not with lpr

Andy Paul yeno at gmx.net
Thu Jul 14 08:05:48 PDT 2011

> Andy Paul wrote:
>
> > Johannes Meixner wrote:

> >> You mean that the testpage prints on "Bin1"..."Bin5" as requested
> >> but your "sometest.ps" does not?
> >
> > Thats right.
> >
> >> Is your "sometest.ps" file plain printer independent PostScript or does
> >> it perhaps contain printer specific stuff like "setpagedevice" commands?
> >> Perhaps your "sometest.ps" file contains printer specific PostScript
> >> which re-sets the PostScript snippet from the PPD file..
> >
> > its a very clean postscript file without any devicespecific commands.
> > Something like:
> >
> > %!PS-Adobe-2.0
> > /Helvetica findfont 10 scalefont setfont
> > 10 40 moveto (Hello World) show
> > showpage
> >
> >> Try out if PostScript made by "a2ps" works, e.g. via:
> >>    echo Hello | a2ps -1 -o- | lp -d mailb1
> >
> > Thats surprisingly works. So it must be a problem with my .ps-files.
> > Maybe there has to be more PS-stuff in the header to work correctly.
> >
> >>    lpadmin -p testy -v file:/tmp/testy.out -P /path/to/file.ppd -E
> >> Then print the test page via the testy queue...
> >
> > This is what I'm looking for (I don't know why I havn't seen this). Now
> > I'm going to study and compare the output. I'm going to report the result.
> > So stay tuned, if you want to hear. Greetings
> > Andy
>
> Please post (an URL to) one of "your" PS files that does not work as
> expected.
>
> Helge
here an _entire_ example file, that doesn't work (without the --- Sn?p ---):
---- snip ----
%!PS-Adobe-2.0
/Helvetica findfont 10 scalefont setfont
10 40 moveto (Hello World) show
showpage

these four lines, written in a file test.ps, prints without errors - but only in the Standardbin:
lp -d mailb1 test.ps   -> StandardBin
lp -d mailb5 test.ps   -> StandardBin

There is no further PS command or directive, that cups could take wrong. It had simply to put the default values from the PPD of this queue to the printer output.
I'm still figure out the differences datastream send to the printer.

Greetings
Andy