options in test page work, but not with lpr

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Jul 14 09:04:30 PDT 2011

Andy Paul wrote:

>> > Thats right.

>> > its a very clean postscript file without any devicespecific commands.
>> > Something like:
>> >
>> > %!PS-Adobe-2.0
>> > /Helvetica findfont 10 scalefont setfont
>> > 10 40 moveto (Hello World) show
>> > showpage

>> > Thats surprisingly works. So it must be a problem with my .ps-files.
>> > Maybe there has to be more PS-stuff in the header to work correctly.

>> > This is what I'm looking for (I don't know why I havn't seen this). Now
>> > I'm going to study and compare the output. I'm going to report the
>> > result. So stay tuned, if you want to hear. Greetings
>> > Andy
>>
>> Please post (an URL to) one of "your" PS files that does not work as
>> expected.
>>
>> Helge
> here an _entire_ example file, that doesn't work (without the --- Sn?p
> ---): ---- snip ----
> %!PS-Adobe-2.0
> /Helvetica findfont 10 scalefont setfont
> 10 40 moveto (Hello World) show
> showpage
> ---- snap ----
>
> these four lines, written in a file test.ps, prints without errors - but
> only in the Standardbin:
> lp -d mailb1 test.ps   -> StandardBin
> lp -d mailb5 test.ps   -> StandardBin
>
> There is no further PS command or directive, that cups could take wrong.
> It had simply to put the default values from the PPD of this queue to the
> printer output. I'm still figure out the differences datastream send to
> the printer.
>
> Greetings
> Andy

Well, then, can you set up a "printer" that prints to a file?
(set
FileDevice Yes
LogLevel debug
in cupsd.conf and restart cups,
then set up a print queue with device-uri
file:///somefileinadirectorythatis woldwritable
and the very same PPD as that of your mailbx printers,
and print a test file that does not work on the real printer(s)).
Then post the generated file.

Helge