enumerate for full mesh?

Morty morty+cups.org at frakir.org
Thu Jul 14 15:40:35 PDT 2011

I have multiple networks with users, in multiple physical locations, and inconsistent distribution of printers.  Users all want to be able to print from whichever network they're on.  Rather than sprinkle printers everywhere, I'd like to put two CUPS servers on each network, give access to network printers from the local network CUPS servers, cut firewall holes so the CUPS servers can talk to each other, encrypt traffic between the CUPS servers, distribute the printers between the CUPS servers, and point users at their local CUPS servers.  I don't want to have to cut firewall holes between every user and every remote CUPS server, or even worse, between every user and every printer.

The above is kinda working, in principle.  But it doesn't seem to scale very well.  Adding printers requires making changes in a bunch of places.  Is there any way for a CUPS server to enumerate all printers on another CUPS server and make all its print queues available?  That way, I would only need to add the printers on the local CUPS servers.

I've played a bit with the browse stuff.  It's nifty, but it doesn't really solve my problem because it causes the printers to appear on new servers with URLs that point back to their local servers.  That doesn't work well with intervening firewalls.

Thanks!