no pages found: whimsical errors with a binary driver working well on other cups systems

Elmar Stellnberger estellnb at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 03:09:42 PDT 2011

  Printing test pages always breaks with the error 'no pages found'. The same driver from solutions.brother.com/linux for the mfc-9840cdw (1.0.3-1.i386) works well on another machine using the same Linux version (2.6.34.7-0.7-desktop) and cups release (cups-1.4.6-70.1, openSUSE 11.3) though on an i686 platform rather than on an x86_64 as desired. I also remember the brother drivers having worked for x86_64 on a previous installation given that the i586 support libraries are correctly installed which I have verified with ldd/rpm.
  However also the cups installation on the x86_64 machine seems to be correct since the generic postcript printer driver will make my mfc-9840cdw print well though in unsatisfyingly low quality using only black and white instead of color. PDF-file printing does also work well.

  Can anyone help? I have raised the debug level and analysed the logs but didn`t find any error message. That seems to be the very cryptical thing about the 'no pages found' fallacy with cups.

Many Thanks and Appreciation for Your Response,
Elmar Stellnberger