printing UTF-8 text mixed with PCL code

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Mon Jul 18 03:57:15 PDT 2011

> > We checked this. The installed set of chars in the printer is very
> > limited and not usefull for printing converted UTF-8 chars. We need
> > a Postscript "picture" which includes the very few big font chars
> > and OCR-B chars.
> >
> >     matthias
>
> The following link may be of interest, if it is an option to upgrade the printer's firmware:
> http://h20331.www2.hp.com/enterprise/downloads/Internationaldrivers.pdf
>
> Helge

Thanks for that pointer. You can imagine that we saw this as well while looking for a solution :-)
It's to expensive for most of the libraries which must reduce costs and can't even buy the books or magazines their reader want, and we are talking about not only one printer. We have customers having 70 or more of them.

I have here an example of such a print out, showing the text, some bold text and an OCR-B number (the number 0000471110):

http://www.unixarea.de/MagazinZettel.pdf

HIH

    matthias