Second time CUPS sends pcl6 to postscript printer

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Jul 18 13:56:49 PDT 2011

jowyta wrote:

> On 18/07/11 19:51, Helge Blischke wrote:
>> jowyta wrote:
>>
>>> If I switch my Samsung ML-2550 printer off and on again and then print a
>>> document (from LibreOffice) it prints correctly.  If I then try to print
>>> the document again, or anything else, the display on the printer says
>>> "Printing PCL6" and I get a single page with a row of /.notdef s on it.
>>>
>>> Attached are relevant parts of error_log.  Job 141 printed correctly,
>>> 142 did not.
>>>
>>> Anyone any ideas what is going wrong?
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> As there are several differend PPDs around for this printer, please post
>> (an URL to) tze PPD you use.
>>
>> Helge
>>
> It is the generic postscript ppd, attached.

The PPD seems to be OK (short of that you attached 2 PPDs as one file).
But what strikes me when comparing your PPD with the PostScript-PPD
supplied by Samsung is: the latter contains JCL statements, especially the following:

*JCLBegin: "<1B>%-12345X at PJL JOB<0A>"
*JCLToPSInterpreter: "@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = POSTSCRIPT<0A>"
*JCLEnd: "<1B>%-12345X"

I'd suggest to insert these lines into your PPD just after the line reading:
*TTRasterizer: Type42

This will switch the printer to the PostScript interpreter at the beginning
of each job.

Helge