no pages found: whimsical errors with a binary driver working well on other cups systems

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Jul 18 14:26:40 PDT 2011

Elmar Stellnberger wrote:

>> >   Printing test pages always breaks with the error 'no pages found'.
>> >   The same driver from solutions.brother.com/linux for the mfc-9840cdw
>> >   (1.0.3-1.i386) works well on another machine using the same Linux
>> >   version (2.6.34.7-0.7-desktop) and cups release (cups-1.4.6-70.1,
>> >   openSUSE 11.3) though on an i686 platform rather than on an x86_64 as
>> >   desired. I also remember the brother drivers having worked for x86_64
>> >   on a previous installation given that the i586 support libraries are
>> >   correctly installed which I have verified with ldd/rpm. However also
>> >   the cups installation on the x86_64 machine seems to be correct since
>> >   the generic postcript printer driver will make my mfc-9840cdw print
>> >   well though in unsatisfyingly low quality using only black and white
>> >   instead of color. PDF-file printing does also work well.
>> >
>> >   Can anyone help? I have raised the debug level and analysed the logs
>> >   but didn`t find any error message. That seems to be the very
>> >   cryptical thing about the 'no pages found' fallacy with cups.
>> >
>> > Many Thanks and Appreciation for Your Response,
>> > Elmar Stellnberger
>>
>> Please post (an URL to) a sample file and the portion of the error_log
>> containing the messages related to the sample job for further
>> examination.
>>
>> Helge
>>

>   I have now uploaded the collected debug & logfiles at
>   http://elstel.binhoster.com/postedfiles/brother_mfc-9840cdw_cups/.

I suspect from looking into your files that the cause is the fact that the
needed fonts could not be embedded. The error_log shows:

[Job 39] Unable to open font file "/usr/share/cups/fonts/Monospace" - No such file or directory

etc. for all the fonts needed for the testpage. As these fonts, I suppose, are not
installed in the printer's ROM, the missing fonts clearly lead to a PostScript error.
This seems to be backed by the message

[Job 39] Error: error occurred at print phase !!

wich comes, as I can see, from the Brother filter.

So look for the Monospace font family and install it properly.

Helge