[cups.general] options in test page work, but not with lpr

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Jul 19 03:15:37 PDT 2011

Hello,

On Jul 14 06:11 Andy Paul wrote (excerpt):
> Johannes Meixner wrote:
>> On Jul 13 03:47 Andy Paul wrote (excerpt):
>>> ... Lexmark T652 with a 5-Bin-Mailbox attachted ...
>>
>> You mean that the testpage prints on "Bin1"..."Bin5" as requested
>> but your "sometest.ps" does not?
>
> Thats right.
>
>> Is your "sometest.ps" file plain printer independent PostScript or does
>> it perhaps contain printer specific stuff like "setpagedevice" commands?
>> Perhaps your "sometest.ps" file contains printer specific PostScript
>> which re-sets the PostScript snippet from the PPD file..
>
> its a very clean postscript file without any devicespecific commands.
> Something like:
>
> %!PS-Adobe-2.0
> /Helvetica findfont 10 scalefont setfont
> 10 40 moveto (Hello World) show
> showpage
>
>> Try out if PostScript made by "a2ps" works, e.g. via:
>>    echo Hello | a2ps -1 -o- | lp -d mailb1
>
> Thats surprisingly works. So it must be a problem with my .ps-files.
> Maybe there has to be more PS-stuff in the header to work correctly.

Off the top of my head the reason might be that your very first line
%!PS-Adobe-2.0
may make DSC comments a requirement for CUPS to insert the PostScript
snippets from the PPD file which let the printer print on "Bin1"..."Bin5".

Try out if it works with a very first line
%!
which indicates plain PostScript level 1 without DSC comments.

If this does not help, try out if some DSC comments like in the
PostScript made by "a2ps" make it work.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner