[cups.general] "Global" options?

Bryan Mason bmason at redhat.com
Fri Jul 29 16:50:57 PDT 2011

I have a customer that would like to be able to have the "fitplot"
option added for all print jobs to a particular queue.  I know that each
client system could run "lpoptions -o fitplot -p printer" as root to
have "fitplot" added as a default for "printer", but is there a way to
specify on the central CUPS server that the "fitplot" option should be
added globally to all incoming print jobs for that printer?

It seems that printer-specific options like "PageSize" are stored in the
printer's PPD file and then all subsequent print jobs use those
defaults, but options like "fitplot" are saved in /etc/cups/lpoptions
(or $HOME/.lpoptions) on the client system.  Changing
/etc/cups/lpoptions on the central CUPS server does not seem to affect
print processing (cupsd doesn't seem to read any of the lpoptions files).

The customer is running cups 1.1.22 if that makes a difference.

Thanks.
~ Bryan