[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3889: Function poll_server() does not request information about the permissions assigned to the printer

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Jul 14 08:31:40 PDT 2011

[STR Closed w/o Resolution]

Unfortunately, there is no support for this in the CUPS browsing protocol
(which is what the polling stuff uses under the hood) and even if it did
we would still have an issue with the clients not necessarily having the
same user/group information as the server (i.e. client user "foo" is not
the same as server user "foo") so any filtering we might do on the client
would be unreliable.

Since CUPS browsing is deprecated and scheduled for removal in the next
CUPS feature release after 1.5.x, and since we don't introduce new
features in patch releases, this issue will not be fixed.

Sorry...

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3889
Version: 1.4.6
Fix Version: Will Not Fix