[cups.bugs] pervasive ineptitude <<#214327-789428#>>

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 22 09:35:12 PDT 2011

Several months ago, when openSUSE 11.4 was released, I discovered the latest
available driver for my Canon MF4370dn would not work. KDE's printer applet
could produce a test page, but every app produced printer errors. As of last
week, Canon had not since updated its latest driver version for my printer.
This prevents me from upgrading from the no longer supported openSUSE 11.2 to
the latest release, 11.4.

For quite some time, printing from Linux web browsers and other applications
has been problematic for various reasons, often the site CSS of the page I
wish to print from web browsers, but also because my DTE's DPI not 96. Often
vast expanses of the right or bottom are missing, but also text size tends to
be gigantic compared to expected output, 14pt or 16pt when 10pt or 12pt is
expected.

Recently I found it impossible to competently print invoices from my
purchases from Newegg.com, for various reasons, both site and DPI related, so
I contacted Newegg, and asked for them to send me my last 6 invoices. Today
they arrived, defective, with the last character(s) from the right margins
missing, as often has happened to me printing here. I have no idea what
printer or system Newegg used.

Today also a package arrived from Amazon.com, a part purchased recently. It
included an invoice on which the right edge was clipped as with the Newegg
invoices. I have no idea what printer or system Amazon used.

I suspect both Amazon and Newegg to be using CUPS for printing, as I find it
hard to believe Mac and Windows users would tolerate such incompetent printer
output.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/