printout times SunOS spooler ./. CUPS 1.4.3

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Jun 6 07:05:36 PDT 2011

Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we are migrating SunOS customers from the old SunOS spooler lpsched to
> CUPS 1.4.3 and are facing the following interesting problem:
>
> in both systems the LAN printer is configured as raw IP to port 9100 and
> it is the same model;
>
> if you fire up 20x "lp -c -d druck6 file" from a shell script or with CUPS
> 20x "lpr -l -P druck6 file" with the same ~1 KByte PCL file, it takes
>
> lpsched: 92 secs
> CUPS: 203 secs
>
> and you can hear short delays while the pages send out from CUPS get
> printed;
>
> before watching the details with TCPDUMP, is there any explanation for
> this? note: it is only plain PCL, no PostScript gets involved;
>
> Thanks
>
>         matthias

First, try appending the option
?waiteof=false
to the device URI. That causes the socket backend not to wait until the
other side (the printer) closes the connection.

If that isn't enough, you may recompile the socket backend and disable the
use of the wait_bc function (which waits up to 5 seconds to drain the
backchannel data).

Or you use the hpnpf backend (see the links at wwwlcups.org) and ask me for
a wrapper script that turns off all waiting of this backend.

Helge