CUPS-1.4.5 in Solaris 10 AND ISO-8859-1

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed Jun 8 08:05:26 PDT 2011

Anh Minh -Le Van wrote:

>> > Hi,
>> > Can any one tell me how to printing document witch ISO-8859-1 in
>> > CUPS-1.4.5 ?
>> >
>> > Case : print a document.txt (french characters), can print it out but
>> > the French accents replace by square
>> >
>> > Thanks anyone's help in advance
>>
>> Try the texttops wrapper from the links at www.cps.org. It guesses
>> (mostly successful) the encoding of the input text and transforms it to
>> UTF-8, which is the only encoding CUPS supports for 1.3.x and higher.
>>
>> Note that this workaround does *not* work for raw queues.
>>
>> Helge
>>
> Hi,
>
> Could you show me more detail how to replace texttops in CUPS in solaris
> 10 sparc. Do I to nedd complile your script ? I did install CUPS form
> opencsw ( pkgutil -i cups cupsd hpijs foomatic_filters)
>
> Thanks

As your issue is with ISO-8859-1, you need only perform the following steps:

(1) in your cups/filter directory, rename texttops to orig.texttops
(2) put the script texttops into this same directory and give it the same
     permissions as the orig.texttops

Note that you need to do this as superuser.

Note that the script requires a Perl interpreter 5.8.0 or higher (highly
recommended 5.8.3 or higher), and the Perl module Encode::Guess must be
installed (IIRC, it is one of the core modules and this should be installed
by default).

Helge