Centos 5.6 and Cups 2.4.6

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed Jun 15 07:52:26 PDT 2011

Scott Hallenbeck wrote:

>> > What I don't understand is that these files are all pdf type, and when
>> > I push the same file through the printers from the command line they
>> > print. If it were the files being sent, wouldn't it fail at the command
>> > line as well?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Scott
>>
>> Might it be that the remote system still has a CUPS 1.1.x running?
>>
>> Helge
>>

> Thank you for your reply!
>
> And yes, the remote servers are running 1.1.22rc1 associated with CentOS
> 4.5. Unfortunately I am not yet privy to the print path from the
> application servers to the print server but I am told that if cups is shut
> down on the apps server that everything stops printing.
>
> I thought of this too, but the only thing that doesn't make sense then is
> that we have a CUPS server running cups 1.3.7 (centOS 5.5) and it works
> fine with everything except our HP p3005 servers, which is the main reason
> for trying to upgrade to 1.4.6.
>
> So as it stands, I need to have a version of cups that is more recent than
> 1.1.22rc1 but can print to HP p3005 printers without jamming them up and
> without updating their firmware.  CUPS 1.1.22rc1 works fine with these,
> and the local prints I send from CUPS 1.4.6 works fine as well, it's just
> CUPS 1.3.7 that doesn't.
>
> I am fairly new to CUPS in a large environment like this and really lost
> on how to proceed from here.
>
> Scott

Well, then, on all your boxes which are runnning cups 1.1.22 (or some other
1.1.x release), find all files named cups_xx (where xx is a language
identifier like en, en_US, de, etc), presumably in the /usr/share/locale
directory tree, and replace the first line of all these files (which will
read iso-8859-15 or windows1251 or the like) by utf-8. And don't forget to
restart cups on these machines.

I suspect, your 1.3.7 has been a patched version, as you told it has been
working with the remote machines.

Helge