[cups.general] Centos 5.6 and Cups 2.4.6

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jun 15 08:32:06 PDT 2011

On Jun 15, 2011, at 5:50 AM, Scott Hallenbeck wrote:
> What I don't understand is that these files are all pdf type, and when I push the same file through the printers from the command line they print.
> If it were the files being sent, wouldn't it fail at the command line as well?

The clients are sending requests saying that all of the job ticket information (title/job-name, page-label, etc.) are encoded using iso-8859-1, which we do not support. The file type doesn't matter since the document character set encoding is handled by the filters/printer and not cupsd.

So, when you print from the command-line on the server, the "lp" or "lpr" command is sending a Print-Job request to the local cupsd with "utf-8" as the job ticket/request encoding. Your remote clients are using iso-8859-1. The same file printed from those clients will fail because we cannot understand the print request itself...