[cups.general] RIP once, print many

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Jun 16 14:04:51 PDT 2011

Greg wrote:

> I have the same problem -- I have to keep an M$ box to print our club's
> single-page newsletter 310 times to an HPLJ5si, because on Linux it would
> take several hours, whether from Adobe or OpenOffice. The problem seems to
> be downstream from the app. I've never gotten an answer that enabled me to
> fix this. It's hard to imagine that of all the linux users out there no
> one has to print multiple pages of a graphics-heavy page. I feel alone in
> this. Well, till I read this. Now there are apparently two of us.

I recommend to use the PostScript PPD for this printer and change the line
*cupsManualCopies: true
*cupsManualCopies: false

The true value causes the cups filters to replicate the whole job the number
of copies times, whereas the false value forces the printer to generate the
requested number of copies by itself.

The reason for the true value is that the printer obviously does not support
collating (the number of copies is specified by a PJL statement), but for a
single page document that doesn't matter.

Helge