access CUPS web interface through SSH port forwarding

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Jun 21 10:13:31 PDT 2011

Hello,

This is with CUPS 1.4.3, in older versions 1.x we did not face the problem.

We access remote servers via SSH and forward the port 631 though the SSH
session as:

$ ssh -C -L 1631:remote-host:631 remote-host

Let's say the SSH runs on host 'myhost'; the LISTEN on port 1631 is fine and
connects are forwarded to the remote CUPS daemon;

but any request to http://myhost:1631/ gives only '400 bad request' from
CUPS; I've checked with

$ lynx -trace http://myhost:1631/

what's going on and I see that the HTTP request contains a line

Host: myhost:1631

which perhaps is not understood by CUPS daemon. How can I get this working?

Thanks

     matthias