Brother MFC-235c printing problem

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Jun 24 04:35:33 PDT 2011

Ba wrote:

>> > Hello there!
>> >
>> > I've just installed my Brother MFC-235c using the drivers from the
>> > brother site:
>> >

>> http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#MFC-235C
>> >
>> > The rpm's are succesfully installed:
>> >
>> > [root at Fangorn Sauron]# rpm -qa | grep -e 235
>> > mfc235ccupswrapper-1.0.1-1.i386
>> > mfc235clpr-1.0.1-1.i386
>> >
>> > Also the printer shows up in the cups web interface:
>> >
>> > ▼ Queue Name ▼	Description	Location	Make and Model	Status
>> > MFC235C	MFC235C		Brother MFC-235C CUPS v1.1	Idle
>> >
>> > The problem is, that when I start a print job, the status automatically
>> > goes to completed. The printer doesn't print anything:
>> >
>> > ▲ ID ▲	Name	User	Size	Pages	State	Control
>> > MFC235C-6  	Test Page  	root  	1k  	Unknown  	completed at
>> > Thu 23 Jun 2011 12:11:43 PM CEST
>> > MFC235C-5  	Test Page  	root  	1k  	Unknown  	completed at
>> > Thu 23 Jun 2011 12:07:22 PM CEST
>> > MFC235C-4  	Administration - CUPS 1.4.6  	Sauron  	500k  	Unknown
>> > completed at Thu 23 Jun 2011 12:01:57 PM CEST
>> >
>> > How can I fix this?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Presumably the special filter from brother (o be seen as the value of the
>> *cupsFilter: keyword in the printer's PPD) is a shell script.
>>
>> Perhaps you could post (an URL to) both the printer's PPD and the
>> cupswrapper filter.
>>
>> Helge
>>

> Hello Helge,
>
> Thanks for you reply.
> I've put the files in the following directory:
>
> http://siegfried.let.rug.nl/~s1893661/mfc235/
>
> The files were in the RPM.
> Was that what you meant?
>
> I couldn't find a PPD file.
>
> There is a line with *cupsFilter:
>
> *cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0
> brlpdwrapper${printer_model}"
>
> What to do next? :)
>
> - Sauron666

Thanks for the files. In the error_log, I found the message:
D [23/Jun/2011:21:25:36 +0200] [Job 11] /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrappermfc235c: /usr/local/Brother/Printer/mfc235c/cupswrapper/brcupsconfpt1: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: bad
ELF interpreter: No such file or directory
That leads to the suspicion that the dynamic loader in your system is either incompatible with the
binaries installed by the rpm or the dynamic loader has another name (hint: on the openSUSE 11.1
I'm just working, /lib/ld-linux.so.2 is a symlink to /lib/ld-2.9.so). I'd suggest to check your
system configuration.

>From your error_log I read in addition that the said filter exited with return code 0 dispite of the
error as indicated above. That is surely a bug; it should produce a nonzero return code in this
case.

Helge