Duplex problem

H. Blischke HelgeBlischke at web.de
Sun Jun 26 10:26:46 PDT 2011

> I keep having problems with printing multiple copies using duplex/tumble.  After a number of copies have printed off correctly I start getting the first page printing correctly but with nothing printed on the reverse and an extra sheet printed with the second sheet but shifted some 4cm to the left with 4cm of the print missing.
>
> For example I have just been trying to print 20 copies of a leaflet.  The first 16 copies printed correctly.  After that the first side printed on one sheet and the second side on another except that instead of the second sheet starting:
>
> | What is co-counselling?
> | Co-counselling is "reciprocal peer counselling".  It
> | is reciprocal because participants take turns to be
> | a "client" and a "counsellor".  It is peer because all
> | co-counsellors have the same status.  It is
> | counselling because you talk through or work on
> | things you want to change in your life with the
> | attention and help of a counsellor.
>
> it starts:
>
>  elling?
>  rocal peer counselling".  It
>  articipants take turns to be
>  llor".  It is peer because all
>  same status.  It is
>  u talk through or work on
>  ge in your life with the
>  counsellor.
>
> If I print to file (using the option under options in the LibreOffice print dialogue) and then sent the file directly to the printer using cat the duplex does not work at all.  I noted that the postscript file contained the lines:
>
> [{
> %%IncludeFeature: *Duplex DuplexTumble
> } stopped cleartomark
> [{
>
> If I add the line
> <</Duplex true  /Tumble true>> setpagedevice
>
> after the %%IncludeFeature line then all 20 copies are printed correctly.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what is wrong?

I see from your error_log that at least the rastertogutenprint filter seems to
work correctly.

My suspicion is that one of the pdf related filters in the filter chain

pstopdf -> pdftoraster

is the culprit.

I'd suggest to do the following:

(1) verify that the pstops filter is installed
(2) verify that the pstoraster filter is installed (or gstoraster, if
    your have Ghostscript 9.01/9.02 installed), or download the gstoraster
    filter from the links.
(3) add a file, say local.convs, to /etc/cups, which defines a filter
    chain that avoids the pstopdf and pdftoraster filters (make sure that
    the cost for this chain is less than the cost of the original chain).
Restart cups after these modifications.

If you need help for this, please post your /etc/cups/*.types and
/etc/cups/*.convs for suggesting the needed changes.

Helge