[cups.general] Windows printer drivers

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Jun 27 10:00:43 PDT 2011

Bruno Martins wrote:

> But to add a printer, I need a driver and I don't want to use client-side
> drivers. They will be installed on the client, but will be available on
> the server for all clients to be able to print.
> If I do what you are saying, will the drivers be automatically upload to
> the server? I ask this because I'm not seeing that happen.
>
> Thanks for your cooperation.
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Helge Blischke <h.blischke at acm.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Bruno Martins wrote:
>>
>> > Hello everyone.
>> >
>> > My name is Bruno and I'm setting up a CentOS-based print server. This
>> > is the only GNU/Linux machine on our network, which serves something
>> > like 30 Windows XP/7 clients.
>> >
>> > I've already installed and configured CUPS and Samba. Very basic
>> > configuration. Also, I have already added our printers to CUPS. But now
>> > I don't know how to download Windows printer drivers to my print server
>> > and share it to Windows users, although I have read a lot of
>> > documentation.
>> >
>> > May you please help me?
>> >
>> > This is the content of my smb.conf file: http://pastebin.com/ueipkrL2
>> > And this, of cupsd.conf file: http://pastebin.com/YedSasSB
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> >
>> > Bruno Martins
>>
>> As you already declared print jpbs received via samba as raw, you best
>> configure the printer(s) on the Winxx side using the APW and set up the
>> printer(s) as networked printers as if your print server was a Windows
>> server.
>> There is no need to hunt for special drivers.
>>
>> Helge

Consult the documentation (man page or html-page from swat) for cupsaddsmb on how to install the windows printer driver components into samba. Once that has been
done, you can install the printers on the Windows clients using the APW without the need to install the driver components on all client machines ("poit and click"
installation).
For additional information, you may consult
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html
..
Helge