[cups.general] Printing to HP multli-function devices

John Meshkoff johnpipe at sonic.net
Wed Jun 29 22:58:00 PDT 2011

I have the use of a HP OfficeJet R40xi, but I could not successfully
install the HP multifunction driver package on my older systems.

I found out  that this printer, as with most other older,
parallel-connect HP printers, can be printed to using a generic HP
laserjet driver (I found out by accident while using DOS AutoCAD 10, and
tried printing on a hunch; acad has a driver for the original LaserJet
printers, and acad printed to this printer perfectly!).

It appears that most older HP printers use the same basic print engine

I altered the printer in CUPS to use the generic laserjet.ppd, and it
prints just fine.

My oldest system is a 2.2 kernel with CUPS v1.1.14., here is the tail of
the driver ppd:

*%
*% End of "$Id: laserjet.ppd,v 1.10 2002/01/02 17:59:08 mike Exp $".
*%
..

HTH, John

--
John Meshkoff                           johnpipe  at sonic dot net
"Who sees all beings in the Self, and the Self in all beings, hates

http://www.sonic.net/~johnpipe/         http://www.sivakalpa.org/

	"You must save the language, the medium of communication"