[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3875: Backends not working after updating to Mac OS 10.6.8

Juan Cabello juankbyo at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 28 08:43:22 PDT 2011

[STR New]

I am a software support analyst for Xerox (E) Ltd.

We have detected that after updating Mac OS to version 10.6.8, CUPS 1.4.7
backends fail to send jobs to any network printer. We have tested lpd,
socket and ipp connections, and with several manufacturers' drivers
(Xerox, HP, Epson) and models.

Even using the generic PS and PCL drivers it is not possible to print
anything to a networked printer. All jobs, test pages included, produce
the same result: a backend error in CUPS, and a "printer paused" status in
the printer queue that cannot be changed unless the job is deleted first.

Any system running Mac OS 10.6.7 and using CUPS 1.4.6 works correctly with
the same models.

We have managed to restore connection to the printers by resetting the
print system, followed by fixing the disk permissions and then rebooting
the mac. In some cases this entire process had to be performed twice.

Restoring a backup copy of the backend folder from TimeMachine fixes the
issue too.

For some printers we also had to modify the SNMP traps for read and write
to "Public" and "Private" (both with capital "P") to enable the
connection.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3875
Version: 1.4.7