[cups.general] Xauth running in an interactive CUPS shell

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Mar 2 08:36:24 PST 2011

On Mar 2, 2011, at 5:32 AM, Cups Seg wrote:
> Does anyone know how I can get the lp user to use the .Xauthority file?

Generally anything run by the scheduler cannot access userspace files, which often may exist on another computer entirely.  Moreover, on Mac OS X we actually sandbox the scheduler-run processes and specifically deny access to user accounts since that poses a bunch of security/privacy risks.

Anyways, if you only care about printing from a desktop (Linux?) system then you can write a backend that runs as root (mode 500 or 700) and calls setuid and setenv/putenv to become the printing user and point to that user's home directory.  (keep in mind that if Linux ever gets a run-time sandbox system like Mac OS X's, we will likely adopt it so this solution would stop working...)