IPP vs LPD printing

Dean Montgomery dmonty at sd73.bc.ca
Fri Mar 4 12:14:54 PST 2011

Our school district is running TOSHIBA e-STUDIO523 copiers with department codes enforced.  There is one strange behaviour that I can't figure out when it comes to IPP vs LPD printing...

LPD://toshiba/Print will cause cups to immediately pass jobs to the copier's queue even if the department code is invalid.  Invalid jobs are held and managed on the copier.  Valid jobs will print even if there are Invalid jobs in the queue.

IPP://toshiba/Print will cause the jobs to stop queueing on the copier as soon as the first invalid job is sent.  Jobs wait on the CUPS server until the invalid job is released or deleted then the other jobs can send.  This is undesirable as one invalid job causes everyone to not be able to print.  IPP protocol does provide more feedback to the end-user (low paper trays, who's printing etc).

Is there a way to have the CUPS server to not hold up the queue when there is an invalid department code in IPP mode printing?