HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 A910a on Linux Mint 9 (Ubuntu 9.10)

John D. Herron paradox.herron at bluewin.ch
Mon Mar 7 09:24:24 PST 2011

Hi, all.
First of all: i am not an expert user.

After my trusty Deskjet 6310 died on me around Xmas last year, i purchased an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 all-in-one (print-scan-fax-copy) product.
My Linux Mint 9 OS (reportedly compatible with Ubuntu 9.10) did recognise the device off the bat, but many things turned out rather problematic. Here a short list of what i cannot do:
- find an adequate PPD file to talk to the computer, and hence
- no computer-initiated scanning (scans only to USB stick plugged into printer);
  xsane / gscan2pdf do not see the device's
- no printing other than PDF files
- no native-file-format printing from OpenOffice or LibreOffice
My question:
1) can I get the system to install another officejet driver? OR
2) can I somehow get a similar-device driver to work with this device?

Thanks for any help.
john