[cups.general] HP LaserJet M1212nf MFP

Bryan Mason bmason at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 11:23:41 PST 2011

On 03/08/2011 03:10 AM, Len Lopez wrote:
> Using CUPS 1.2.4 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.2
>
> We have two HP LaserJet M1212nf MFP printers. I cannot find the
> correct driver listed. Usually I use another that works, but in this
> case I fail to get anything working at all. Initially the printer
> kept reinitialising as soon as I printed from a wrong driver. After
> a firmware upgrade, the printer just chooses to ignore any requests
> to print.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a suitable one or a way of obtaining a
> PPD file? I downloaded hplip-3.11.1_rhel-5.0.i386.rpm from
> hplipopensource.com, but I don't know what to do with it.

Hi Len,

Have you tried just installing the hplip that's included with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux?  The latest version is hplip-1.6.7-6.el5.

To install the RPM file that you've downloaded, you can just run (as root):

     rpm -Uvh hplip-3.11.1_rhel-5.0.i386.rpm

although if there are dependencies that need to get installed, it'll get
a bit more complicated.

Have you tried opening up a support case with Red Hat?

~ Bryan