can't access local printer in Cups 1.3.10/gimp 2.6.7/firefox 3.6.13

Doug Bainbridge dougrb at o2.co.uk
Wed Mar 9 03:54:28 PST 2011

running linux Mandriva 2009.1 on a 64-bit PC with Epson Stylus Photo 2100 printer.

With the printer attached to the 64-bit PC locally, I cannot print from firefox or gimp, but I *can* print from OpenOffice or a text editor.

With the printer attached to a 32-bit PC locally I can print from all the apps.

And I can remote print on the 64-bit PC from Firefox and gimp when the printer is attached to the 32-bit PC, through a domestic LAN