eggcups has quit unexpectedly

Sue Toeppler stoeppler at nmtransfer.com
Thu Mar 10 06:03:42 PST 2011

We're running Cups 1.4.6.  Periodically, I'll see the message "The application eggcups has quit unexpectedly" on the console.  I click on Restart.  In the past, it didn't seem to affect anything.  But last night, I found I couldn't do an lpstat command.  It just hung.  Also programs that spool reports were hanging.
Before I noticed this message on the console, I did a "/etc/init.d cups restart" command.  I tried the lpstat after that and it still didn't respond.  That's when I saw the message on the console and clicked on Restart.  So one of these two things must have fixed the problem.  If it was the "cups restart", maybe I didn't wait long enough before trying the lpstat?

Why do you think this happened?