Is there a precomplied version for dummies?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Mar 11 09:14:07 PST 2011

paul young wrote:

> Im updating cups on a solaris system, checking the /etc/release file I get
> the following info:
>
> Solaris 10 5/09 s10s_u7wos_08 SPARC
>            Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
>                         Use is subject to license terms.
>                              Assembled 30 March 2009
>
> The main issue I have as far as patching is the software the site run on
> this server.
>
> They have software from a company called Capita Software services which is
> used for local government benefits for housing, unemployment and that sort
> of thing.
>
> Due to the type of software the patching of Solaris is governed by Capita
> as they can only test against some of the available patches. This server
> is patched as high as Capita will allow for running there software.
>
> By the looks of things I would say that the server is too long in the
> tooth for applying cups 1.4.6 in it's current state.
>
> Can any one point out a version I could install at the current server
> level?
>
> Regards
>
> Paul
>

>> On Friday, March 11, 2011 09:23:17 AM paul young did opine:
>>
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I'm very, very new to Unix and need to install (upgrade cups) 1.4.6
>> > from 1.2.7.
>> >
>> > I have tried to use the source files downloadable from this site and
>> > after 3 days of running the configure script started to post errors
>> > onto the forum.
>> >
>> > The people here are very good and very quick to answer but it seems the
>> > help has dried up a little.
>> >
>> > I managed to configure cups in the end but then started getting error
>> > after error while running "make check".
>> >
>> > It seems that as I bypass one error I walk directly into another,
>> > coming from the dummies area of support (Windows) Ive not been in this
>> > position before.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to download a pre-configured version of cups that I can
>> > just hit Install and update my system without any errors?
>> >
>> First, a version that old is quite likely from a linux install equally
>> old, and the changes and enhanced security in the elapsed time since,
>> would probably hake it a good idea to invest in a new hard drive, and 1
>> Tb drives are the $70 commodity drives today, install it in the computer
>> and install a current release of linux on that drive without touching the
>> drive your are using now.
>>
>> I installed 32 bit 'pclos' on this 64 bit box about 9 months ago, and
>> have
>> been rather pleased with it since.  It is a rolling update release,
>> meaning that it is, on this machine, exactly as if I had downloaded the
>> most recent
>> install disk and installed it.  There is no fixed, gets obsolete, release
>> schedule.
>>
>> There have been some teething problems with kde, resulting in up to 224
>> packages related to it being replaced, several times in the past few
> [...]
I successfully compiled cups 1.3.5 from the sources on Solaris 10.
The only restriction I remember is the option "--without-gssapi" as a
configure option. as the Kerberos installation at that time was too buggy
(and we needed no Kerberos as it was in a company-local area).

So any 1.3.x should go ahead (if in doubt, you can get my 1.3.5 sources
which contain some modifications, though).

Helge