cupsd no longer allows using cname (alias) must use hostname

scott henry scotty-cups at tenchiki.net
Sun Mar 13 17:39:28 PDT 2011

I was running debian Lenny on my server, and had a hostname alias (CNAME) setup
using dnsmasq (since I had to move the printer around, it was easier to
move the alias than to change the /etc/cups/client.conf on every other computer
on the network). Lenny was running version 1.3.8. I upgrade the server to
debian Squeeze, which is running cups v1.4.4, and I can no longer use the
alias to access the printer server, I must use the hostname of the server.
If I use the hostname, things work:

 $ lpstat -h filess:631 -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: hp940c
device for hp940c: usb://HP/DESKJET%20940C?serial=XXXXXXXXXXXXX
device for PDF_to_file: cups-pdf:/
hp940c accepting requests since Sun Oct 28 12:27:34 2007
PDF_to_file accepting requests since Wed Oct  3 11:28:25 2007
printer hp940c is idle.  enabled since Sun Oct 28 12:27:34 2007
printer PDF_to_file is idle.  enabled since Wed Oct  3 11:28:25 2007

 $ lpstat -h print:631 -t
scheduler is running
no system default destination
lpstat: Bad Request
lpstat: Bad Request
lpstat: Bad Request
lpstat: Bad Request
lpstat: Bad Request

And I get similar bad behavior on other commands or using the web admin
(note that the server is headless). All of the machines on this network
are Linux or Mac OSX.

The error_log file shows:
E [13/Mar/2011:17:31:22 -0700] Request from "192.168.55.24" using invalid Host: field "print"
however that is a valid CNAME for the host, and it works for every other use.

Is this a configuration error on my part? I can't find anything about this
in the docs or searching this site, though I might be looking for the wrong
thing. I want my old behavior back!