[cups.general] LPD Protocol Issue

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Mar 16 10:38:13 PDT 2011

I have to submit a job to a CUPS server from an embedded environment (so
no subprocess invoking of lpr, etc...).  I've implemented an LPR/LPD
client years ago in C and am now attempting to do so in Python.  The
print job appears on the CUPS print server but although the data file
seems to be sent [the server responds with \000] the job is always
zero-sized and never prints.  Any tips/pointers would be appreciated.

No authentication is involved.

I -
 1. Connect to the socket
 2. Send \002cisps\012
 3. Receive \000
 4. Send \00243 cfA000linux-yu4c\012
 5. Receive \000
 6. Send the control file (which is 43 bytes)
       Hlinux-yu4c
       Ntest job
       Jtest job
       Padam
 7. Send \000
 8. Receive \000
 9. Send \00310324 df000linux-yu4c\012
 10. Receive \000
 11. Send 10,324 bytes of data (the job payload)
 12. Send \000
 13. Receive \000