[cups.general] Print formatted text to a kyocera printer

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Mar 21 10:21:24 PDT 2011

Thomas Glanzmann wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm in the process of converting a HP-UX system to Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux System running cups. The printer in question is a kyocera printer
> FS 2020. When I print a ascii file[4] containing iso_8859-15 chars on
> the HP-UX box, the printer prints it. I captured the bytes on the wire
> using tcpdump[1]. When I print the same file on the cups machine it
> first converted it to postscript but wrapped after 40 chars in the
> process. So I removed the following line from /etc/cups/mime.convs
>
> text/plain             application/postscript  33      texttopaps
>
> Afterwards cups refused to print the file at all, so I added the line
>
> *cupsFilter: "text/* 0 textonly"
>
> to the ppd file[2]. Now it prints it is very close to the anticipated
> output, but the upper right 'Seite 1' is missing. And the german umlaut
> 'รค' is not printed. I captured communication between cups and the
> kyocera printer using tcpdump[3].
>
> Looking at the HPUX lpd sniff, I see that it uses the printer command 'f
> - Print formatted file[5]'. I wonder how I can get this with cups?
>
> [1] HP-UX pcap http://thomas.glanzmann.de/tmp/hpux.pcap
> [2] PPD file   http://thomas.glanzmann.de/tmp/kyocera.ppd
> [3] CUPS pcap  http://thomas.glanzmann.de/tmp/cups.pcap
> [4] Text file  http://thomas.glanzmann.de/tmp/frapack.lst
> [5] lpd rfc    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1179.txt
>
> Cheers,
>         Thomas

First, I'd play around with the text printing options (lpi and cpi), as a
wrap at comumn 40 lets me suspect the font size is too big by default.

If that does not help, try the following (in that order):
- set "wrap=false" as a default option (lpoptions command)

- replace the texttopaps filter by the texttops filter

- try this filter with the "wrap=false" option

- if all that fails, ask me for my special "line printer hack" at
h dot blischke at acm dot org.

Helge