[cups.general] Print formatted text to a kyocera printer

Bryan Mason bjmason at redhat.com
Mon Mar 21 10:31:16 PDT 2011

Hi Thomas,

On 03/21/2011 09:52 AM, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm in the process of converting a HP-UX system to Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux System running cups.

What version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux?  Which version of CUPS?
Depending on the answers to those questions, it should be possible to
get the file to print properly using some options to the lp command (and
also possibly using the iconv command to convert the document to UTF-8).

> The printer in question is a kyocera printer FS 2020. When I print a
> ascii file[4] containing iso_8859-15 chars on the HP-UX box, the
> printer prints it. I captured the bytes on the wire using
> tcpdump[1]. When I print the same file on the cups machine it first
> converted it to postscript but wrapped after 40 chars in the
> process. So I removed the following line from /etc/cups/mime.convs
>
> text/plain             application/postscript  33      texttopaps
>
> Afterwards cups refused to print the file at all, so I added the line
>
> *cupsFilter: "text/* 0 textonly"

Rather than doing this, it may be simpler just to define a raw print
queue, or to use the "-o raw" option on the lp command that you use to
print the file.  The effect should be the same -- the file will be sent
to the printer unprocessed.

> to the ppd file[2]. Now it prints it is very close to the anticipated
> output, but the upper right 'Seite 1' is missing. And the german umlaut
> 'รค' is not printed. I captured communication between cups and the
> kyocera printer using tcpdump[3].
>
> Looking at the HPUX lpd sniff, I see that it uses the printer command 'f
> - Print formatted file[5]'. I wonder how I can get this with cups?
>
> [1] HP-UX pcap http://thomas.glanzmann.de/tmp/hpux.pcap
> [2] PPD file   http://thomas.glanzmann.de/tmp/kyocera.ppd
> [3] CUPS pcap  http://thomas.glanzmann.de/tmp/cups.pcap
> [4] Text file  http://thomas.glanzmann.de/tmp/frapack.lst
> [5] lpd rfc    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1179.txt

Have you opened a support case with Red Hat?  If you have, let me know
the case number and I'll take a look at it.

~ Bryan