[cups.general] Print formatted text to a kyocera printer

Berend De Schouwer berend.deschouwer at ucs-software.co.za
Tue Mar 22 01:21:23 PDT 2011

On 21/03/2011 18:52, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm in the process of converting a HP-UX system to Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux System running cups. The printer in question is a kyocera printer
> FS 2020. When I print a ascii file[4] containing iso_8859-15 chars on
> the HP-UX box, the printer prints it. I captured the bytes on the wire
> using tcpdump[1]. When I print the same file on the cups machine it
> first converted it to postscript but wrapped after 40 chars in the
> process.

Does that print umlauts correctly?  I have to assume it does, since
ps/pdf files will set the character set.

>  So I removed the following line from /etc/cups/mime.convs
>
> text/plain             application/postscript  33      texttopaps
>
> Afterwards cups refused to print the file at all, so I added the line
>
> *cupsFilter: "text/* 0 textonly"

What type of file does cups *think* you are printing?  You can look in
the logs (/var/log/cups/access?) or cupsdisable the printer and cat
/var/spool/cups/c*.

Look for text/plain or application/octet-stream.

I have to assume text/plain.

> to the ppd file[2]. Now it prints it is very close to the anticipated
> output, but the upper right 'Seite 1' is missing. And the german umlaut
> 'รค' is not printed. I captured communication between cups and the
> kyocera printer using tcpdump[3].

Right, it's printing 80 columns, when you probably want 132 columns.

> Looking at the HPUX lpd sniff, I see that it uses the printer command 'f
> - Print formatted file[5]'. I wonder how I can get this with cups?
>
> [1] HP-UX pcap http://thomas.glanzmann.de/tmp/hpux.pcap
> [2] PPD file   http://thomas.glanzmann.de/tmp/kyocera.ppd
> [3] CUPS pcap  http://thomas.glanzmann.de/tmp/cups.pcap
> [4] Text file  http://thomas.glanzmann.de/tmp/frapack.lst

What kind of jobs are you planning to send?  Always the same text files?