[cups.general] Print formatted text to a kyocera printer

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Mar 22 02:29:42 PDT 2011

Hello,

On Mar 21 17:52 Thomas Glanzmann wrote (excerpt):
> I'm in the process of converting a HP-UX system to Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux System running cups. The printer in question is a kyocera printer
> FS 2020. When I print a ascii file[4] containing iso_8859-15 chars on
> the HP-UX box, the printer prints it. I captured the bytes on the wire
> using tcpdump[1]. When I print the same file on the cups machine it
> first converted it to postscript but wrapped after 40 chars in the
> process. So I removed the following line from /etc/cups/mime.convs
>
> text/plain             application/postscript  33      texttopaps
>
> Afterwards cups refused to print the file at all, so I added the line
>
> *cupsFilter: "text/* 0 textonly"
>
> to the ppd file[2]. Now it prints it is very close to the anticipated
> output, but the upper right 'Seite 1' is missing. And the german umlaut
> 'รค' is not printed.

I did not follow the whole mail thread.

Nevertheless, perhaps
"Printing Plain Text in Printer-Specific Encoding" in
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
could be helpful in your particular case.

If "textonly" is a script, you might enhance it so that
it supports German umlauts and LF->CR+LF conversion
or you may use a selfmade script and specify this in the PPD
or you may use a so called "System V style interface script",
see the above article.

Regarding printing more than 80 characters per line:
Either your script sends whatever needed control characters which
switch your printer in some kind of "condensed printing mode"
so that your printer prints more than 80 characters per line
(you need to find out which control characters switch your
printer in some kind of "condensed printing mode")
or
you may switch your printer directly via its menu into such a mode
but then you must make sure that this mode is not re-set (e.g.
after power off/on or via other print jobs).

Regarding LF->CR+LF conversion:
Usually you can also switch your printer directly via its menu into
a mode where a "LF" character triggers also a carriage return
but then you also must make sure that this mode is not re-set
(e.g. after power off/on or via other print jobs).

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex