configure cupsd.conf for no authentication require

bui bqbao at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 27 02:04:50 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I am setting up a linux box that perform as a print server using CUPS. The problem is when I access to the admin page from remote computer, CUPS server always ask for the user name and password.

How can I config cupsd.conf file so that I can access to CUPS without any authentication?

Below is my current cupsd.conf. I already comment all the policy and set the AuthClass to Anonymous, but no help.

Many thanks.
#
# "$Id: cupsd.conf.in 7199 2008-01-08 00:16:30Z mike $"
#
#   Sample configuration file for the Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS)
#   scheduler.  See "man cupsd.conf" for a complete description of this
#   file.
#

# Log general information in error_log - change "info" to "debug" for
# troubleshooting...
LogLevel info

# Administrator user group...
SystemGroup lpadmin sys root
ServerName 192.168.1.85
Listen 192.168.1.85:631

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.

Listen localhost:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

# Show shared printers on the local network.
BrowseAddress 192.168.1.255
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all
BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS

# Default authentication type, when authentication is required...

DefaultAuthType Basic

# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
    Allow localhost
  Allow @LOCAL
  Allow From 192.168.1.*
</Location>

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
<Location /admin>
  Order allow,deny
    Allow localhost
  Allow @LOCAL
  Allow From 192.168.1.*
  AuthClass Anonymous
</Location>

# Restrict access to configuration files...
<Location /admin/conf>
  Order allow,deny
    Allow localhost
  Allow @LOCAL