[cups.general] lpr through printserver fails in 1 out of 30

Rebecca Simmons rsimmons at mygns.ca
Tue Mar 29 09:43:11 PDT 2011

Sorry, should have said... CUPS on clients is 1.3.1, cups on
printserver is 1.4.2, OS on clients is 10.5.8, OS on printserver is
10.6.7

I set up a second 10.6.7 server as a printserver for just the problem
printer and it has exactly the same problem as the real printserver.
If the print queue is set up through the system preferences GUI then
default (bonjour) printing works but LPD printing doesn't.

I've tried with the printserver address as a DNS lookup
"printserver.gns" and also plugged in as its direct ip 192.168.164.16
but that makes no difference.

I've tried using a client that is OS 10.6.7 running cups 1.4.6 and the
problem persists.

Any suggestions?