Failing to print anything but A4 PDF, PS and plain text.

Mike mike+cups at fabre.id.au
Thu Mar 31 20:07:33 PDT 2011

Hi, I've recently configured a new CUPS server, on Ubuntu 10.04 with a HP LaserJet 4100 and a Samsung CLP-300N. The CLP-300N seems to work fine, however with the LaserJet I am unable to print anything that isn't an A4 PDF, PostScript, or plain text file, when I try to CUPS says that it printed fine however the printer seems to completely ignore it, assuming it gets to the printer at all.

I suspect the problem is with CUPS not correctly converting the file into the PDF or PS that I assume is needed by this printer and is instead just sending the original file as is straight to the printer, which then doesn't understand the file and ignores it.

Can anyone give me any pointers on how I can find the cause of this problem? I have tried turning on debugging in CUPS, but the logs seem to indicate that the printjob goes through just fine.